Some tools make life much easier for a busy individual. One such device is the kitchen scale. It is a device used to measure the weight of food and its ingredients.
There is a misconception that a kitchen scale is just for baking enthusiasts or for chefs; it is a worthy buy for the average person as well. An underrated appliance for cooking, it helps out tremendously when you know how to use it correctly.
With this article, we will tell you all you need to know about Kitchen scales- why you should use it, how to work it, and what to look for before investing in one.
Table of Contents
Uses of a Kitchen Scale
A kitchen scale is a multitasker- It can help you with cooking (especially as a novice), make portion control more accurate and churn out the yummiest cupcakes!
- Baking: The most common use of a kitchen scale is for measuring ingredients when baking. Baking is supposed to be an exact science, so your goods will come out looking much better when you are extra precise with your measurements.
- Portion control: When you are on a diet, you got to count your calories. Whether trying to lose weight or gain some, a kitchen scale will always tell you how much food you are consuming. It will help you with tracking your calories and bring you closer to your #bodygoals.
- No more waste: There are many times when we cook too much and end up having to throw away the leftover food. Say no to waste and cook only as much as you can eat with the help of a kitchen scale.
- For cooking practice: As a beginner to cooking, we all take the help of recipes we find online. With no experience, it is better to stick to the exact measurements given in the recipe. A kitchen scale will help make your first dishes successful.
Types of Kitchen Scale
- Digital scales: Digital scales are by far the most popular kitchen scales nowadays. They are convenient to use, precise, compact, and loaded with extra features. You can even get nutritional info about your food in some digital scales.
- Mechanical scales: The old-school style of scales; these are also called spring scales. You are supposed to place your food a platform fixed on a heavy spring. These are still used in some grocery and butcher shops nowadays.
- Balance scales: The oldest of the lot is the balance scale. It has two panels on both sides with a needle in the middle. You need specific weights to measure against your food with this scale. Because of its slow and inconvenient design, it has now become almost obsolete.
What to look for while buying a Kitchen Scale
So, you may have decided to make the purchase but don’t know where to start; you are confused by the millions of kitchen scales up for grabs. Before shopping, read this checklist to make sure that you choose the right kitchen scale for your cooking needs.
- Accuracy: It is the most crucial part of a kitchen scale. Be sure that the scale is precise in its estimations with no errors.
- Simple controls: The controls shouldn’t be hard to navigate. You should be able to operate the kitchen scale smoothly.
Remember: It should make cooking easier for you, not harder. A needlessly complicated design will be a nightmare when you are already stressed from trying to make an elaborated recipe.
- Easy to clean: There should be no unnecessary crevices where food gets stuck. A dirty food scale will not function properly, so it is essential to keep it neat. A removable scale platform is needed, and if the scale is spill-proof, it’s a big plus.
- Durability: The kitchen scale should be made of robust materials as accidents often happen while cooking. It should be able to handle a bit of rough handling.
- Measuring capacity: Most scales can weigh up to 5 kilograms of food. If the food or the amount you want to cook outweighs that, better look for scales made for heavier materials.
- Tare function: Many scales have the feature of allowing you to reset the weight after measuring the first component without needing to take it off the scale. The Tare function is useful when you don’t want to use many containers, and you can do everything in one bowl itself. No-fuss and no mess!
P.S. Too tired to search for the best kitchen scale? Don’t worry; we got you covered. We think you’ll like these here 10 Best Kitchen Weighing Scales in India
How to use a Kitchen Scale
A mechanical scale needs no guidebook to use, but a digital scale may need a few pointers to operate. The advanced features on some digital scales can be a bit complex to navigate. Read on and find out how to work on a digital scale.
- Read the manual: The more features your kitchen scale, the more controls you will need to learn. Some digital scales come with advanced features such as calorie estimations and dietary values about the food. But, reading the manual isn’t necessary for simple kitchen scales are they are straightforward and easy to use.
- Zero out: Be positive that your scale starts on zero when you begin to measure your food.
- Weigh out your container: First, find out how much your container weighs. Note down the number so you can subtract that amount from the food you will measure later. Some scales have an attached bowl with its weight already accounted for. Check the manual for clarity.
- Measure your food: Put your food portion or ingredient in the bowl for measuring. For digital scales, the digits will be displayed immediately. In the case of mechanical scales, wait for the needle to settle first.
If you have been itching to become serious with your diet or want to reduce your time cooking, a kitchen scale is a sound purchase to make. Go ahead and make the jump for a healthier lifestyle. Happy cooking!